Youth Action Diversity Trust

Engaging young people in positive activities

The History of Hurst Community Centre

*Notes used on this page are based on Manorial Surveys, Bexley Rate books and other papers 
at Hall Place that provide an insight into the origins of Hurst Community Centre. 

The name ‘Walter atte Herst’ occurs in a subsidy role of 1348, but this is not evidence for the existence of any particular house at the time.

Click this text t


The Manorial Survey of 1608 mentions 40 acres of
arable and woodland at Herst, also a Herst Field,
Herst Spring, Great Hurst and Little Hurst, but
there is no suggestion of a house such as
Hurst Place.

Click t


The survey of 1681 states that one Elizabeth Cooper, widow, owned a house and other property at Hurst. It stood on
the 
south side of the highway from Bexley to
Halfway Street; there was a barn on the opposite side of the road. This
was
opposite the Oast Houses, which were on the
other side of
Penfold Lane adjacent to Hurst Place.

Clic


The earliest map 
of Hurst Farm,
- dated 1854.

The 


Hurst Place was used as a

convalescent home in the

1914 - 1918 war.

CLICK


1925 Aerial view of Hurst Community Centre 
looking from the rear of
the building
towards Hurst Road.

Click


The rate books at Hall Place do not continue after 1931.

F

 In 1939 - 1945 Hurst's cellars were used
as Air Raid Precaution (A.R.P) headquarters
and as a bomb shelter.

YGU

From the tape on the windows we think
this photo was taken during the war.

c

The Council bought it in 1946 and housed bombed 

out families in it. It has been used as a 

Community Centre since.

 

dr

We believe this photo to be dated 
from the early 1950's.

 

C

The Oast Houses were demolished in the late 1950’s, 

the central hop store having housed the local 

cobbler and finally being home to the 

Hurst Horticultural Society.


x


June 1971.

 

Click 



We believe this photo to be dated from the 1990’s.

 

Click 

In 2014 we secured the lease to Hurst Community Centre for 25 years! Since then, the Centre has been revamped;
fixing the roof, redecorating the exterior, as well
as repairing or replacing any of the windows!  

j

Previous Owners of Hurst Community Centre

 

The name ‘Hurst Place’ does not occur in any records before about 1860, but one can trace back from the first occurrence of names with some confidence. This means we learn that there were 12 different occupiers during the above period including:

  • 1808 - 1823 J Littlewood
  • 1823 - 1827 Joseph Watson
  • 1827 - 1842 W.A. Meriton
  • 1842 - 1848 Lt. Col. Dickson
  • 1855 James Brown
  • 1855 - 1857 Major Rutherford
  • 1857 - 1885 G.G. Newman
  • 1885 - 1888 Mrs Newman,
  • 1888 - 1894 Charles Carrington
  • 1894 - 1899 Robert Moore
  • 1899 - 1909 Alfred Henry Houlder added the billiard room (Small Hall)
  • 1909 - 1923 J. A. Kinnison built a servants wing, 3 bedrooms and an observatory, which was destroyed by fire in the late 60’s
  • 1923 - 1931 Clive Kinnison
 
On the High Road between Eltham and Bexley, 11 miles from London and Westminster bridges comprises a commodious family residence with study, dining room, two spacious drawing rooms, seven best bedrooms, two kitchens, dairy, extensive offices, conservatory, flower and kitchen garden and four acres of rich pasture land, to be let unfurnished for £70 per annum to an unexceptionable tenant only.

The Times Newspaper - 1907


(A copy of the original newspaper can be found in the entrance hall at the Centre.)

If you have any information about the History of Hurst, please contact us on 020 8300 2076 

or email Hurst Community Centre using our Contact page.